'90 Moto-4 350 no-start

Yamaha Related - GYTR style

'90 Moto-4 350 no-start

Postby MSGT-R » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 am

Greg, got a member over on KLR650.net that bought one of these that is a bit of a "project" find. I'll quote the problem:

I just bought an ancient 4 wheeler that was dead on arrival. Under minor investigation, I noticed that the inline 30a fuse was blown. I noticed that there was a spare directly behind the fuse housing, so I replaced the fuse and I had the ability to turn the engine over. When I received the quad, the previous owner told me that he had problems with the neutral switch and that it might be the same problem. I replaced the ignition coil due to a minor goof up that fried the original and I am not getting a spark. I noticed that while having the bike in neutral, the neutral light, lights up. Putting the bike in gear makes the light go out, which lead me to believe that the neutral switch relay is doing its job. In gear, the brake needed to be applied to get the bike to turn over. So, now I have a new battery, new ignition coil and wire, and a new spark plug. I have to wonder, does the orange ignition wire that feeds the coil show an amperage that is readable by a multimeter? I have been told that there is no way to test a cdi and if the wire is readable, then I think that stating that the cdi is not testable, would be a lie/mistake. Though I know that seeing some type of conductivity to the coil does not tell the overall functionallity of the cdi, its a start. I am just thinking that if that orange wire is producing a charge of some sort, then I would be able to see if the coil should be doing something.
What are some tests that I can run on the quad to rule out expensive guesses? I have attempted to jump a spark from the plug while in its wire to a ground and its not producing a spark at all. Please help with suggestions

And his post on an ATV forum (I think it's his from the description):

I have a 1990 moto-4 w/o pull start option. Only button start. When I bought it, it had a blown fuse (30A) and a battery that had been empty for a long time. I replaced both the fuse and the battery and I have had the quad started but for a minute or so. Since then, I don't get a spark or anything. Just continues to crank over with no luck... I need help too. Pulled the carb apart like 5 times due to plugging, I think I have that issue taken care of but then again, the plug is dry even after numerous attempts to start it, even giving it a little gas to see if that would kick it over and, nothing..

Got any suggestions?
Multiple Bike Disorder...
a replacement for Multiple Car Disorder.
MSGT-R
The One With The Power

Re: '90 Moto-4 350 no-start

Postby cwr greg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 pm

test the atsor and pick upo soil for the right readings.
if questionable then, pull stator and clean up the pick up, most likley rust has formed or shavings from the starter clutch had stuck to them,

if readings are bad, then replace the stator with the oem only. no aftercrapmarkets, sorry, they just dont last.

if readings are good, then replace cdi. you did the rest.

greg
cwr is world class, powerful, realiable motors. period.
cwr greg
The One With The Power

Re: '90 Moto-4 350 no-start

Postby MSGT-R » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks my friend! I passed the info on.
Multiple Bike Disorder...
a replacement for Multiple Car Disorder.
MSGT-R
The One With The Power

Return to Yamaha